Corporate Data Center Decommissioning
As information technology became integral to business operations, companies built owned and operated data centers to manage and control their data. For years, ABM has helped these companies manage the systematic decommissioning and removal of data center equipment.
Today we frequently work in live environments, retiring select servers and racks and destroying hard drives and tapes. We also help manage the permanent shut down of company-owned data centers.
By 2025, 80% of enterprises will have shut down their traditional data center, vs. 10% today.
Gartner, “The Data Center is Dead, and Digital Infrastructures Emerge”, April 13, 2018
Data Center Services
Staged Decommissioning of Older Equipment
When businesses shift their IT infrastructure to the cloud, on-premise data centers are reduced in size or shuttered permanently. SLS can return these data centers to a clean sweep empty space. This work is typically done on a project basis with a defined project plan and timeline.
SLS enables IT asset managers and data center managers to focus on the live production environment while we provide systematic decommissioning and removal of retired IT assets and equipment.
We routinely decommission servers and racks, SANs, network gear, cabling, telecom equipment and end-user equipment. Our support services include cable removal/mining, lease returns, data destruction, inventory reporting, packing and shipping and asset resale and recycling.
We ensure no disruption to the live environment and guarantee our work is performed in a systematic, secure and safe manner.
We Provide the Following Services:
- Decommission Idle Equipment – We systematically remove all racked equipment and cabinets. Equipment is moved to a staging area and prepared for shipping.
- Cable Mining – to remove legacy cables, if required
- Lease Returns – Prepare end-of-lease equipment for return to lessor.
- Data Destruction – Destroy data, either on-site or at SLS processing facility, on all data-bearing assets.
- Asset Tracking and Shipping – SLS will perform a physical inventory count of equipment, documenting any discrepancies with client provided equipment list. We reconcile equipment lists and prepare decommissioned assets for shipment. Equipment is staged, packed and shipped.
- Refurbish, Resell and Recycle Equipment – The data center equipment is shipped to a SLS facility where assets are prepared for resale or recycling. We also redeploy servers to another company-owned property, when required. Any broken or obsolete equipment in responsibly recycled.
Mitigate Risk During Cloud Migration
SLS has a proven track record in systematic and disciplined data center decommissioning.
See how we can help as your data center.
Do you have an upcoming decommissioning project? Download our “Checklist for Selecting a Decommissioning Vendor” document for ideas on how to evaluate potential service providers.
Data Center Services
Decommissioning and data destruction services provided at our client locations tend to be project based and require close coordination and planning. Talk to one of our business solution advisors to discuss how SLS can support your team.